If you notice that your gums appear to be lifting away from your teeth, making your teeth look longer or even exposing some of the roots, chances are that you have receding gums. While many things can contribute to receding gums, if left untreated they can contribute to exposed root and tooth loss. If you have receding gums, your dentist may recommend an electric toothbrush to help treat the condition and reduce the risk of dental damage. Electric toothbrushes clean your teeth while minimizing the excess pressure some people place on their gums. Soundview Family Dental shares some top electric toothbrushes for receding gums to allow them to heal and return to their healthy position.
- Receding gums expose tooth roots and can lead to tooth loss if untreated.
- Electric toothbrushes with soft bristle brush heads can help treat receding gums.
- Top electric toothbrushes for receding gums: Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart, Oral-B Pro 5000 Rechargeable, and Waterpik Complete Care 9.0.
- Features of these electric toothbrushes include different cleaning modes, pressure sensors, timers, and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Benefits of using electric toothbrushes for receding gums include improved gum health, plaque removal, and better oral care habits.
What are receding gums?
Receding gums occur when the margin of gum tissue normally seen on the teeth pushes back, exposing more of the tooth. In extreme cases, the gums receded to the point that they can expose the root of a tooth. When receding occurs, it creates gaps between the gum and the tooth where bacteria can become trapped and build up. Bacteria can damage the tooth and the bone structure, often resulting in tooth loss. When this occurs, receding gum treatment, including scaling and root planing, is essential to avoid tooth deterioration.
Numerous factors can contribute to receding gums. A major contributing factor is poor dental hygiene that can also include brushing too hard. Increased pressure on the gums from hard brushing damages the gum tissue and contributes to receding. Other common causes can include:
- Periodontal disease
- Hormonal changes
- Tobacco use
- Misaligned teeth
- Teeth grinding or clenching
The best electric toothbrushes for receding gums
Electric toothbrushes allow you to clean your teeth and gums without the added pressure many people apply when brushing manually. If you notice that the bristles on your manual toothbrush fray to the sides, chances are you are brushing too hard. Using an electric toothbrush with a soft-bristle brush head can reduce this pressure while still removing bacteria from your teeth. These are the top three electric toothbrushes for receding gums.
Philips Sonicare DiamondClean smart electric toothbrush
As one of the top makers of electric toothbrushes, Philips Sonicare delivers a full oral care experience with its DiamondClean Smart line of toothbrushes. This line includes the base model 9300, the mid-model 9500, and their top model 9700. All three models take oral care seriously, offering different brush heads that address general cleaning, tooth whitening, deep cleaning, and gum health. The mid and top lines also include a brush head specifically for tongue care.
For tech junkies, this is a smart toothbrush. Using Bluetooth technology, this toothbrush connects to an app to give you real-time feedback, including areas you may have missed while brushing. Sensors in the brush heads tell the toothbrush automatically adjusts the mode and intensity. For example, when you choose the gum-care brush, the toothbrush switches modes to provide the gentle care and pressure that your gums need. For general brushing, a sensor in the toothbrush detects when you are applying too much pressure and flashes a light. If you fall back to scrubbing like with a manual toothbrush, the sensor reminds you to stop and let the brush do the work. A location sensor connected to the app shows you areas of your mouth and teeth you missed during brushing, helping to make sure you treat your entire mouth.
Other benefits include:
- Removes 10x more plaque
- Improves gum health up to 7x in two weeks
- White mode removes 100 percent more stains versus manual toothbrush
- 4 or 5 different cleaning modes, depending on the model
- 3 power intensity settings
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Pressure sensors in the brush heads
- Brush head recognition
- Built-in rechargeable battery with a cup charger
- 2-minute timer to ensure optimal brushing time
- A 30-second pacer to ensure you spend enough time in each section of the mouth
- Automatic shut-off
- Prices range from $199 for the 9300 to $329 for the 9700 model
Oral-B Pro 5000 rechargeable electric toothbrush
For those looking for a high-quality gum and oral care electric toothbrush at a more economical cost, the Oral-B Pro 5000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush offers many of the same features found in more expensive models. This toothbrush features five modes: Daily Clean, Gum Care, Sensitive, Whitening, and Deep Clean. It offers 3D cleansing action that oscillates, rotates, and pulsates in order to break up plaque on the teeth and along the gumlines.
This toothbrush also uses Bluetooth technology to connect to a smartphone. The app provides real-time feedback on your brushing habits and helps promote better oral care. In addition to these benefits, the Oral-B Pro 5000 also offers:
- 100% more plaque removal along the gumline than a manual toothbrush
- 3D cleansing action
- Pressure sensors that let you know when you are applying too much pressure
- In-handle timer pulses that notify you every 30 seconds, so you know when it is time to change areas in the mouth
- One brush head compatible with every mode
- 2-minute time that lets you know when brushing is complete
- Average price for this model is $99
Oral-B Pro 500 rechargeable electric toothbrush
Quality oral care doesn’t have to come with a hefty price tag and the Oral-B Pro 500 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush is evidence of that. For under $30, this toothbrush provides superior plaque removal when compared to a manual toothbrush, while still being gentle on the gums and helping to reduce the risk of receding gums. Benefits of this quality brush include:
- 2D cleaning that includes oscillating and rotation in order to break up and remove plaque
- 2-minute pro timer that signals every 30 seconds, reminding you to change location
- Compatible with a variety of different Oral-B brush heads, including Sensitive Gum Care brush heads
- Average price under $30
Electric toothbrushes better for gentle gum care and overall oral health
Each of these electric toothbrushes provides a variety of benefits when it comes to overall oral care, as well as addressing receding gums. In fact, a 2013 study showed that electric toothbrushes offer better removal of plaque and promote better oral health. The fact that electric brushes help reduce brushing pressure is another benefit when it comes to addressing gum recession.
For more information about receding gums, treatment options, or to learn more about the benefits of electric toothbrushes, contact Soundview Family Dental today.